Saturday, November 12, 2011

WE DID IT!!!

You know those things you always said you'd never do, because it doesn't sound like fun, you hate doing it, and you think you are incapable?

Running a race is one of those things for me. People always told me that it got easier after the first couple of miles. That seemed hard to believe when running only one mile seemed miserable beyond belief. I was never a runner growing up, and I went through phases throughout college and after where I would get into running, but at best I could run a couple of miles at a time for short periods of time, until I lost interest again. I always thought I would be pretty proud of myself if I ever made it to a race, but deep down, wasn't sure I could ever do it.

Luckily, my friend Bree inspired me by running her first 5K a few months ago. I figured if she could run her first 5K after having a baby, so could I. So we trained together and today... I did it! I accomplished one of my life goals, one that quite frankly I wasn't 100% positive, even this morning that I could successfully pull off, but I did it! And at least for the moment, I feel so good I want to go out and run a marathon!

I'm sure I'll feel differently tomorrow.

Most people I know could go out and run a 5K tomorrow without even training, but for me this took a lot of hard work, and I am SO glad I did it. Now that I know I CAN be a runner, I am going to keep setting goals. Bree and I are running another 5K in December, and then I think my next goal will be a sprint tri, and then after that a 10K. What are your fitness goals for 2012???

So here are a few pictures from, what feels like to me, a huge triumph. Side note, the clock says 51 minutes, but that was the clock that started with the 10K departure 17 minutes before us. Our time was 34 minutes and 30 seconds.








Pictured here with our inspirations. :)

3 comments:

  1. So proud of you! My first 5K is on Thanksgiving. Then prepare for a half in June. Also weightlifting 2 to 3 times a week. Its amazing what taking an hour a day to focus on yourself can do not only for your physical health but for your mental health also. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the 5k, I'm super excited for you! lets run at x-mas! Cant wait to see you and meet Eli! Love you

    ReplyDelete